Insurance Claims Lawsuit Verdicts & Settlements
1. Rental Car Company Liable For Unknown Driver's Negligence: Our client was severely injured in an automobile accident by a car owned by Enterprise Leasing. The driver of the Enterprise vehicle fled the scene and could not be identified. Plaintiff brought suit against the person who rented the vehicle from Enterprise and obtained a $1,000,000 judgment. We then brought a garnishment action against Enterprise to collect the judgment. Our client ultimately prevailed and a judgment of $1,000,000, plus interest was entered against Enterprise.
2. Trucker's Contractor Protection Plan Pays More Than Its Policy Limits: Commercial vehicles, particularly semi-tractors and trailers can cause extensive damage and serious injury in a vehicular accident. But professional truck drivers can also be the victims of the negligence of other drivers, both automobiles and trucks. We have represented a number of truck drivers in liability claims against the other drivers, including claims for uninsured coverage under their own policy, and contractual claims against their employer or insurance companies that sell accident, disability and medical plans. One such plan, the oxymoronic Contractor Protection Plan denied coverage to a driver under dispatch when he was paralyzed while being driven by an acquaintance back to his truck because he was intoxicated. The court held that as long as he was under dispatch, coverage existed and the intoxication exclusion did not apply unless he was driving at the time. At trial, we more than doubled the $300,000 policy limit of his Contractor Protection Plan because the insurance company vexatiously refused to pay this claim to this traumatically injured professional driver.
3. Lead Poisoning In Children Caused by Paint: We have represented several small children who suffered from lead poisoning as a result of ingesting lead paint or inhaling its dust in their older homes. As a result of city ordinances and other claims we were able to recover compensation for the kids which allowed their parents to obtain treatment for their illness and help them catch up to their peers in school and otherwise. Typically, the landlord's insurance provided coverage for these difficult to discern, but very real injuries.
4. Child Mauled by Dog Makes Recovery: A little boy was severely bitten by a dog in his face and groin area. Our client brought suit against the dog owner for his injuries. Although other bites by the dog could not be shown, we were able to prove that the dog had been stolen on a previous occasion and taken to a professional dog fight. Case was settled for $95,000.
5. Garnishment against Insurance Company results in 1.68 million recovery: We represented the mother of an 18 year old young man who was shot and killed at a night club. The insurance company denied coverage for the claim. After obtaining a judgment against the night club, we filed a garnishment against the insurance company. The Missouri Court of Appeals found coverage and the case was settled for 1.68 million dollars.
If you or a family member were recently injured in an accident, contact our Kansas City insurance claim law firm today.